Many families gather together for breakfast on Christmas morning. Some like to have breakfast, then open presents; others prefer to open the presents prior to eating. The ages of the children in the home likely dictate which occurs first.
The best thing about the Christmas Breakfast Sausage Casserole is that it is most satisfying no matter what time you eat it. Besides that, it must be prepared in advanced, and refrigerated, thus it can be popped in the oven any time you like.
1 pound ground pork sausage
1 teaspoon mustard powder
½ teaspoon salt
4 eggs, beaten
6 cups milk
6 slices white bread, toasted and cut into cubes
8 ounces mild Cheddar cheese, shredded
- Crumble sausage into a medium skillet. Cook over medium heat until evenly brown; drain.
- In a medium bowl, mix together mustard powder, salt, eggs and milk. Add the sausage, bread cubes, and cheese. Stir to coat evenly.
- Pour into a greased 9x13 inch baking dish. Cover, and chill in the refrigerator for 8 hours, or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350ᵒ F
- Cover, and bake 45 to 60 minutes.
- Uncover, and reduce temperature to 325ᵒ F.
- Bake for an additional 30 minutes, or until set.