It won’t be long until sweet potatoes will be ready for digging. Here is a easy and delicious recipe for chicken and sweet potato croquettes which will allow you a little different way of incorporating sweet potatoes in your family’s diet.
- 3 pounds chicken drumsticks (about 12), rinsed and patted dry
- 7 Tablespoons butter
- Salt and pepper
- 3 cloves unpeeled garlic
- 1 large sweet potato
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1/3 cup chicken broth
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup bread crumbs, preferably panko
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- Lemon wedges, for serving
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- Place the chicken on a foil-lined rimmed baking sheet, rub all over with 2 tablespoons butter and season with salt and pepper.
- Wrap the garlic cloves in foil and set on the baking sheet.
- Roast until the chicken juices run clear, about 45 minutes.
- Set the roasted garlic aside and let the chicken cool for 15 minutes.
- Discard the skin and bones and finely chop the meat; set aside.
- Meanwhile, pierce the sweet potato in several places and place on a paper towel in the microwave oven.
- Cook on high for 6 minutes.
- Turn over and cook until tender, 6 to 10 minutes more.
- Cover with a paper towel and let stand for 5 minutes.
- Peel the potato and the reserved roasted garlic and transfer to a large bowl; mash and set aside.
- In a small saucepan, melt the remaining 5 tablespoons butter over low heat.
- Add the onion and cook until softened, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in ¼ cup flour and cook over low heat, stirring constantly, for 3 minutes.
- Slowly add the chicken broth, stirring until a paste forms, then cook for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir the paste into the reserved mashed potato mixture.
- Stir in the reserved chicken.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until firm, about 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, beat the eggs with 1 tablespoon water.
- Place the remaining ½ cup flour and the bread crumbs on separate plates.
- Divide the croquette mixture into eight ½ -inch-thick oval disks.
- Coat with the flour and shake off any excess.
- Dip in the egg mixture, letting the excess drip off, then coat with the bread crumbs.
- Place the breaded croquettes on wax paper.
- In a small skillet, heat the oil over high heat until hot but not smoking.
- Working in 2 batches, fry the croquettes until golden brown, 1 to 1 ½ minutes per side.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer to paper towels to drain.
- Serve 2 croquettes, with a lemon wedge, per person.
Tip: Check out: Pick up panko in the Asian foods aisle.