One-dish meals are often popular because they are easy to store in the fridge if there are leftovers, can be made ahead and left for the family with only reheating directions, and are easy to take for lunch the next day.
This recipe for cheesy baked tortellini can be easily modified by using vegetable-filled tortellini instead of cheese-filled. This allows a bit of variety and makes it a bit healthier. Enjoy!
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 lb lean (at least 93%) ground turkey
- 1 jar (26 oz) tomato pasta sauce
- 1 package (20 oz) refrigerated cheese-filled tortellini
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese (8 oz)
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Spray 3-quart casserole with cooking spray.
- In 12-inch skillet, heat oil over medium heat; stir in onion, garlic and turkey.
- Cook, stirring frequently, until meat is no longer pink, about 5 minutes. Stir in tomato pasta sauce.
- Meanwhile, cook tortellini in 3-quart saucepan in boiling water until pasta is done; drain.
- Toss cooked pasta with tomato mixture.Spoon into casserole. Sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake uncovered 20 to 25 minutes or until hot. Let stand 5 minutes before serving. (Serves 8)
Tip: Try using meat or vegetable filled tortellini in place of cheese filled.