People mistakenly believe that once diagnosed with diabetes they must give up all desserts. Not so, says the editors of Diabetic Living.
- 1 ½ cups flour
- ⅔ cup flaxseed meal
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 3 cups finely shredded carrots (about 6 medium carrots)
- 1 cup refrigerated or frozen egg product, thawed, or 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup packed brown sugar*
- ½ cup canola oil
- 1 recipe Fluffy Cream Cheese Frosting (below)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Grease and lightly flour two 8 x 1 ½ - or 9 x 1 ½ - inch round cake pans. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, stir together flour, flaxseed meal, baking powder, pumpkin pie spice, baking soda, and ¼ teaspoon salt; set aside.
- In another large bowl, combine carrots, eggs, sugars and oil.
- Add egg mixture all at once to flour mixture.
- Stir until combined. Divide batter between pans.
- Bake 25 – 30 minutes for 8-inch pans or 20 – 25 minutes for 9-inch pans or until a toothpick inserted near centers comes out clean.
- Cool cakes in pans on wire racks 10 minutes. Invert cakes onto racks. Cool completely.
- Place one cake layer on a platter.
- Bowl, bowl,
- Place the second cake layer on top of the frosting, spread with the remaining frosting.
- If desired, garnish with additional shredded carrot.
Makes 14 – 16 servings.
Sugar Substitutes: Choose Splenda Sugar Blend for Baking to substitute for the granulated sugar and Splenda Brown Sugar Blend to substitute for the brown sugar.
Fluffy Cream Cheese Frosting:
- Thaw 1 ½ cups frozen light whipped dessert topping.
- In a medium bowl, beat 2 ounces softened reduced-fat cream cheese with an electric mixer on medium to high speed until smooth.
- Beat in ½ teaspoon vanilla.
- Gradually add ¼ cup powdered sugar, beating until smooth.
- Fold about ½ cup of the thawed topping into the cream cheese mixture.
- Fold in remaining whipped topping.
Makes about 1 ¾ cups.