In just a few weeks, blueberries in our area will be ripe and ready to pick. Almost every time my five-year-old granddaughter comes over to visit, she runs over to our three bushes to see if any of the berries are ready to eat as this will be the fourth summer she will be able to eat blueberries fresh off the vine.
Already, thoughts of her mommy’s homemade blueberry muffins are dancing in her head. Her dad makes great pancakes, so I’ll share this recipe for blueberry pancakes. Since it only makes 4 pancakes, he’ll have to make at least a double batch for the family.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ⅛ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ⅛ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- 1 egg
- ½ cup plain yogurt
- ½ cup milk
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- ¾ cup fresh blueberries
- Preheat griddle over medium heat.
- Stir together the flour, baking powder, nutmeg, cinnamon and sugar, set aside.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the egg, yogurt, milk and oil.
- Gradually stir in the flour mixture, then fold in the blueberries.
- Pour batter onto hot greased griddle, two tablespoons at a time.
- Cook over medium heat until bubbles pop and stay open, then turn over and cook on the other side until golden.