Berry season is here. Strawberry fields are open – blueberries and raspberries will soon be ripe enough to pick.
There’s nothing quite like eating these berries fresh off the vine; however, making one’s favorite recipes with those that make it home is a close second. This recipe for berry pudding cake will fast become one of those recipes as it can be made with any of the berries mentioned above.
These berry pudding cakes bake while the sweet berries bubble in their own juicy sweetness underneath.
- 2 eggs
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Dash salt
- 1 cup fat-free milk
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 3 cups assorted fresh berries (i.e., raspberries, blueberries and/or sliced strawberries
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Lightly coat six 6-ounce individual baking dishes with nonstick cooking spray. Arrange dishes in a 15x10x1-inch baking pan; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk eggs.
- Whisk in sugar, vanilla and salt until light and frothy.
- Whisk in milk until combined.
- Add flour and baking powder; whisk just until smooth.
- Divide berries among prepared dishes in pan. Pour batter over berries. (The batter won’t cover berries completely.)
- Bake about 20 minutes or until topping is golden.
- Serve warm.
Makes 6 serving.