I don't know about you, but when I make chili, I always end up making a vat of it, then I have leftovers for days on end. This time around, I decided to do something a bit different with the leftovers and came up with this delectable recipe.
Imagine it; a comfort food concoction where chili meets fried potatoes meets cheese meets cornbread - yea, it's that awesome. And it's also so easy it's ridiculous. Just use your favorite chili recipe, a can of chili or chili mix and you can even use Jiffy cornbread mix, if you want! It will turn your chili into a company's-coming worthy dish you can brag about.
This is definitely one of our best recipes to add to your Spring Cookbook, before it gets too hot for chili. It's also a perfect recipe for your commitment to Healthy Living and easy to make vegetarian.
Check out this column often for more Food & Recipes!
Amazing Leftover Chili Cornbread Potato Casserole Pie
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large or 2 small Russet potatoes, sliced very, very thinly into rounds, skin still on (use a Mandolin, if possible)
- 1 1/2 cups Mexican blend cheese, lower fat, divided into 3 - 1/2 cup parts
- 2 cups leftover chili
For the cornbread topping:
- 1/2 cup self-rising flour
- 1/2 cup self-rising cornmeal mix
- 1/4 cup white sugar or Splenda
- 1 egg or 2 egg whites
- 1/2 cup nonfat buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons vegetable or canola oil
- In a large bowl, combine flour, cornmeal and sugar. Stir in egg, milk and vegetable oil until well combined. Let this mixture sit for about 20 minutes to allow it to "bloom" (rise more.)
Put it all together:
- In a casserole dish, put vegetable oil and let it preheat with the oven to 400 degrees. (watch that it doesn't overheat.)
- When preheated, add potato slices to the hot pan, followed by 1/2 cup of cheese, then top with the chili. Now add another 1/2 cup of cheese and last, the cornbread mix.
- Cook in the preheated oven for about 30 to 40 minutes or until cornbread is light brown. Remove from oven, sprinkle with the last 1/2 cup of cheese and heat until cornbread is golden brown and cheese is melted.