Last night I cooked a butterflied whole chicken in the Cuisinart 3-in-1 Cook Central Multi-Cooker. I began with the brown/saute function and browned the skin to a golden brown in olive oil. I had planned on adding salt and pepper and let it be, but of course, I had to experiment.
So, I ended up putting some leftover veggies like celery, sweet potatoes, carrots and onions in with it. Then, I dumped a whole can of mandarin oranges, juice and all. And set it on the high slow-cooker function for about four hours. And went about my business as usual.
When I got back to the cooker some four hours later, what I found was a chicken that was falling off the bone, in a mind-blowing orange sauce. So, I made whole wheat pasta and simply served it on top. You can see the photos in the slide show.
Today, I planned on making chicken soup with the remainder of the chicken. But, of course, I didn't stop there. What I've ended up with is a scrumptious and healthy sweet potato carrot soup with a chicken stock base.
Here's what I did.
(If you just want the orange chicken; brown onions, celery and garlic in a saute pan or your Cook Central. Then add the chicken, breast side down, to the pan and saute, not moving, until a deep, golden brown. Now, do the other side of the chicken. When it's really brown, add a can of mandarin oranges, with the juice, over the top of it - you can add diced sweet potatoes here and carrots or any other veggie here - And let it simmer until thoroughly done and falling off the bone. Serve over rice or pasta)
Sweet Potato Carrot Soup
- 4 cups chicken broth or stock, preferably homemade with onion, carrot, garlic and a sweet potato as stock flavor, bones removed and if you made it with veggies, puree it to make a creamy base for your soup.
- 3 or 4 sweet potatoes, washed, skin on and cut into cubes
- 1 white potato, cut into cubes, if you like your soup really creamy
- 1 package baby carrots, whole is fine
- 1 onion, peeled and cut into cubes
- dash cayenne pepper
- dash cinnamon, to taste
- salt and pepper
- small pinch coffee, ground, uncooked
- leftover chicken to add to soup at last 10 minutes, if desired
- Pour stock into Cuisinart 3-in-1 Cook Central, add water to 3/4 capacity and bring to boil on the brown/saute setting.
- Add all other ingredients except chicken (I even added chicken bones to add flavor and removed them later.) Bring back to boil. Set to high for 4 hours or low for 8. If cooking on high, watch the water level, adding more broth or water, as needed. It will get thick and creamy if you don't add too much water - but don't let it scorch.
- When all the veggies are mushy-tender, remove bones, if using, and puree right in the pot using the Cuisinart Smart Stick, if desired (or leave chunky, if you prefer). Add another dash of cinnamon and/or cayenne to taste. Cumin and chili powder would also be good in this. Add cooked chicken if you'd like to add protein.
Serve over a toasty slice of whole wheat bread or with crackers.
In case you are interested in these beautiful and super smart Cuisinart products, just follow this link.
Here are the stats for the Cuisinart Smart Stick:
- 2 speeds for all your blending tasks
- Powerful 200-watt motor handles more blending tasks
- Stick design reaches into pots, pitchers, and bowls to extend blending options
- Ergonomically designed grip offers comfortable hold and more control while blending
- Operates with a one-touch control for easy, one-handed blending
- Dishwasher-safe blending shaft and beaker make cleanup effortless
- Limited 3-year warranty
- 3 fully programmable cooking functions Slow Cook on high, low, simmer or warm for up to 24 hours; includes automatic Keep Warm feature
- Brown/Sauté with temperatures up to 400°
- Steam for up to 90 minutes
- One touch switches modes when recipe calls for combination cooking Removable 6-quart nonstick aluminum cooking pot
- Extra-large blue backlit LCD display with easy-to-read time and temperature settings
- Glass lid with cool-touch handle for clear view and comfortable handling
- Dishwasher-safe removable parts for effortless cleanup
- Steaming rack included
- Limited 3-year warranty