It's Fall and the holidays are just around the corner! Try avoiding all the rich, high calorie seasonal desserts by creating the taste and texture of chocolate eclairs, without all the calories.
This is an extremely easy and quick recipe that is sure to be a family favorite.
Mock Chocolate Eclair
- 2 wrapped packages graham crackers (from 1-pound box)
- 2 (4-serving) packages vanilla instant pudding and pie filling (I use sugar free/fat free)
- 3 cups skim milk
- 1(8-ounce) container frozen fat-free whipped topping (or sugar free)
- Layer bottom of 13-by-9-by-2-inch baking dish with one third of the graham crackers. (Break them as needed to fit the pan.)
- In a mixing bowl, beat pudding mix with milk until thickened; let stand for several minutes. Fold in the whipped topping. Spread half of the pudding mixture over the graham crackers. Repeat layers, ending with graham crackers on top (three layers total of graham crackers). Spread with Chocolate Topping.
* For a richer cream, add half a jar of marshmallow cream to the pudding mixture.
- 1/4 cup cocoa
- 2/3 cup sugar (you can use 1/2 of this in Splenda, but might have to cook a bit longer)
- 1/4 cup skim milk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon margarine (I use light margarine)
- Combine cocoa, sugar and milk in a saucepan. Bring to a boil for 1 minute. (I boil until it forms a soft ball when dropped in a cup of cold water... I like the topping hard)
- Remove from the heat and add vanilla and margarine. Cool slightly and pour over the top layer of graham crackers. Refrigerate dessert until ready to serve (can be made the night before). Makes 15 to 20 servings.
* Without sugar free/fat free pudding and whipped topping, it's about 154 calories per serving