Have a lot of thyme on your hands and craving summer squash? Throw together this summer squash feta casserole for a bright and salty side dish that is quick and easy to make. With a good amount of natural saltiness from the feta and texture from the squash, this colorful recipe will yield 10-12 small servings if not less when you gobble it up.
- 2-3 tbsps olive oil
- 4-5 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tbsps thyme, roughly chopped
- 2 summer squash, half moon slices
- 3 zucchini, half moon slices
- 3 eggs
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1/4 lemon, juice only
- 2 tbsps Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 cup feta, crumbled
- black pepper
- kosher salt
- Slice squash into half moons of equal thickness to cook at the same rate. Mince garlic and chop up thyme.
- In a large skillet, add olive oil. Heat until just shimmering; add in garlic and thyme.
- Stir for about 1 minute (don't burn the garlic!) before adding in squash.
- Saute for 3-4 minutes until about halfway cooked. (The rest of the cooking will occur in the oven.)
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Beat eggs in a mixing bowl. Add in sour cream, lemon juice, and cheeses. Mix thoroughly.
- In an oiled 9x13 baking dish, add half of the squash. Pour over half of the cheese mixture. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Keep in mind that feta is already a tad salty so don't over salt it. Repeat!
- Bake for 40-45 minutes until bubbly and slightly browned on top.
If you're interested in checking out more recipes by me, please subscribe above. You will receive instant updates whenever a new recipe goes up. Recipe requests are gladly welcome. Regular posts will include recipes, tips on cooking, restaurants in the Orange County area, and more.
If you wish to follow me on Facebook, you can "like" at www.facebook.com/muchadoaboutfooding and/or become a fan on Twitter at @MuchAdoBlog. Make sure to share the information if you enjoy reading.