Lowest calorie chocolate mug cake! Perfect for those chocolate cravings!
Have the holidays left you with an extra bulge and a lingering sweet tooth? Don't feel alone. We gain on the average of about eight calories per person during the holiday season, leaving us with a guilty conscience to accompany those extra pounds. And boy! is it ever harder to cut back after eating all that good stuff than after Christmas?
The best thing you can do is to first of all shake off that guilty feeling - it isn't going to do anything except drive you to eat more. Chalk it up to a learning experience and move on. Cut back, but don't cut anything completely out just yet - you know how fad diets and fasts end up; losing weight, then gaining back more than you originally lost. So, for a week or two, take one small step at a time, before you really go on a "diet". That doesn't mean pig out, though. Just eat carefully, giving yourself a bit of leeway until you get those fat cravings back under control. We really don't want to go through a binge period.
One of my favorite ways of dealing with this issue is to cut back on your meals, have a healthy snack between lunch and dinner, then have one bed time treat - you will more likely stay on track if you have that to look forward to.
Make it a healthy treat, like a Rice Krispie Treat, two cookies, an apple with peanut butter or try the mug cake recipe below. 58 calories have never tasted better. But, fair warning; don't expect it to taste like a Red Velvet full fat dream cake! Take it for what it is, eat very slowly, close your eyes while you chew every bite and truly enjoy it. You are worth it. Good Luck!
- 2 tsp self rising flour
- 1 1/4 tsp cocoa powder
- Pinch of baking powder (not essential but it helps!)
- 2 tsp brown sugar (you could use 1 tsp brown sugar and one tsp Splenda, but it won't be as rich)
- 1 tsp instant powdered coffee, add to the dry, optional
- A few drops of vanilla extract
- Enough water to make a smooth mix (skim milk will make it richer and only add a few calories)
1. Add all the dry ingredients in a coffee cup
2. Add vanilla and enough water to make the mix smooth
3. Microwave (100 watts) for 1 to 2 minutes - don't overcook or it will be very dry
4. Allow to cool and enjoy without feeling guilty!
Serving Size: 1 cup
Number of Servings: 1