Basil seed is tricky and usually used in drinks. It's nearly unavoidable to post a drink recipe on this specific ingredient. They may look like frog spawn but are very popular in some Asian drinks and apparently have some health benefits. The texture may take some getting used to but perhaps you'll be brave and make this recipe below which yields 2 drinks.
- 1 tsp basil seed
- 2 cups water, divided
- 1 chunk ginger, peeled and sliced
- 1.5 tbsps sugar
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1/2 cup rosewater
- In a small saucepan, heat up all but 1/4 cup of the water.
- Combine with ginger, sugar, and honey until everything dissolves.
- Turn off heat to let cool.
- Rinse basil seed in a fine strainer before placing into 1/4 cup of water.
- Let sit for several minutes while it puffs up with its gelatinous material.
- Add rosewater, seeds, and honey mixture. Stir well and chill before serving.
If you're interested in checking out more recipes by me, please subscribe above. You will receive instant updates whenever a new recipe goes up. Recipe requests are gladly welcome. Regular posts will include recipes, tips on cooking, restaurants in the Orange County area, and more.
If you wish to follow me on Facebook, you can "like" at www.facebook.com/muchadoaboutfooding and/or become a fan on Twitter at @MuchAdoBlog. Make sure to share the information if you enjoy reading.