With many parents relocating due to the economy or job perplexities, students are the ones that face difficulty moving from state to state. Students are penalized in many cases because the change in schooling results in losing their pace and sequence within the curriculum. Migrant children tend to relearn material or find themselves ahead from what they were learning and missing out of prerequisite learning skills that can benefit their understanding of concepts.
NCLB (2001) Act did not specifically address many issues for Migrant students more or less reducing any educational disruptions or disparities among States in curriculum, graduation requirements, state academic content and student academic achievement standards. However, within the last two years, Common Core standards, which has been adopted in 47 states, have regulated curriculum so all students are following a curriculum that is implemented across the United States. As a whole, are schools and teachers following these new Common Core standards? Many teachers are unequivocal and under trained in teaching towards Common Core curriculum mandates.
Migrant students will also benefit in the change in curriculum practices under Common Core. A universal curriculum adopted in all states including curriculum practices can meet the needs of Migrant children and parents. The Common Core movement proposes that teachers use 25% of their time instructing, and the other 75% of the time, students should be reading or engaged in learning activities. If all schools and teachers across the U.S. are following this protocol, more Migrant students will not be left behind or lose valuable to time in learning. The Common Core movement will ensure that Migrant children are being educated in high quality and comprehensive educational programs.