Each year the OUT brand celebrates the most compelling people of the year with the annual OUT100 double print issue and the OUT100. For the first time, OUT is asking its readers to weigh in with the inaugural OUT100 Readers’ Choice Award, presented by Buick. The winner of the first annual Readers’ Choice Award will be announced at the OUT100 event in November. Voting is now open for the 2013 Readers’ Choice Award on OUT.com.
“In this extraordinary year for LGBT achievement, we’re delighted to invite our readers to help us select an individual whose bold work and craft stands out for inspiring others and helping change our world,” said Aaron Hicklin, editor in chief of OUT.
The nominees are:
- Laverne Cox - The actress and advocate is changing perceptions of what it means to be trans
- Dustin Lance Black - The writer and activist's efforts helped with the efforts to overturn Prop. 8 in California
- Billy Porter - The Tony-winning actor also uses his talent to help at-risk LGBT youth
- Nate Silver - The statistician and best-selling author is reshaping what it means to be a gay geek—and influencing culture every step of the way
- Steve Grand - His sudden success as an openly gay country singer is inspiring a new generation of singers and songwriters
- Thom Browne - The menswear designer received national attention when he dressed Michelle Obama for the president's inauguration
- Roberta Kaplan - The lawyer who tried the case that took down DOMA still says it's all about Edie Windsor's incredible life story
- George Takei - The actor is using his celebrity to advocate for LGBT and human rights issues
- Mary Lambert - The singer-songwriter collaborated on one of the biggest pop hits, “Same Love”
- Kate Bornstein - Whether you're a 'freak' or teen, this trans trailblazer wants you to stay alive
The OUT brand is available to consumers as a monthly print publication found on newsstands and at select retailers or via subscription. Out can also be accessed digitally at www.out.com or on Apple mobile devices through the Zinio application.