Have you heard the news? According to a Union-Recorder news report published on March 1, an important day for children, teachers, parents, grandparents and book lovers is right around the corner and Americans are ready to celebrate! It's Read Across America Day, an annual "holiday" that encourages people of all ages to pick up a book and read.
It's almost time to celebrate,
It is that time of year.
Americans don't need to wait
Read Across America Day is here!
Read Across America Day
Launched in 1998 by the National Education Association (NEA), the annual event encourages children around the country to discover the joy of reading. For nearly 20 years, this annual program "focuses on motivating children and teens to read" through various events, activities and celebrations across the nation. Schools, businesses and organizations work together to inspire and celebrate literacy. It is estimated that 45 million readers will take part in the annual event.
When is Read Across America Day?
- March 3, 2014
- March 2, 2015
- March 2, 2016
And with the advances in technology, reading has never been easier or more convenient. Whether you prefer to read the "old-fashioned" way with a paper book or with a handy-dandy gadget, today is all about reading.
How to Celebrate Read Across America Day
- Surprise the family by whipping up a batch of Green Eggs and Ham!
- Check out these fun Dr. Seuss videos.
- Make this adorable Cat in the Hat hat out of felt!
- Celebrate the Cat in the Hat with a free downloadable activity booklet.
- Check out this free printable Read Across America Certificate of Participation.
- For even more Seuss fun and games, please visit 21 Seuss Games, Crafts & Activities for Kids.
In honor of Read Across America Day, why not take a stroll down memory lane and re-read one of your favorite books and visit a few faraway places, relive history or become a superhero? Be sure to share how you, your children or your students plan on celebrating Read Across America Day.