Craving something light and fresh with flavor crystals exploding in your mouth? Want to take your kale recipes to the next level? Then try this recipe for size.
The Raw Tuscan Kale Salad is one of the lightest and most flavorful kale salads ever made! With a light lemon drizzle, grated pecorino cheese and crunchy breadcrumbs sprinkled throughout the mix
• 1 bunch Tuscan kale (for ex: black or lacinato)
• 2 thin slices country bread, or two handfuls good, homemade coarse breadcrumbs
• 1/2 garlic clove
• 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt, plus a pinch
• 1/4 cup (or small handful) grated pecorino cheese, plus additional for garnish
• 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus additional for garnish
• Freshly squeezed juice of one lemon (scant 1/4 cup or ~50ml)
• 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
Freshly ground black pepper to taste
1. Trim the bottom few inches off the kale stems and discard. Slice the kale into 3/4-inch ribbons. You should have 4 to 5 cups. Place the kale in a large bowl.
2. If using the bread, toast it until golden brown on both sides and dry throughout. Tear into small pieces and pulse in a food processor until the mixture forms coarse crumbs, or crumbs to your liking.
3. Using a mortar and pestle or a knife, pound or mince the garlic and 1/4 teaspoon of salt into a paste. Transfer the garlic to a small bowl. Add 1/4 cup cheese, 3 tablespoons oil, lemon juice, pinch of salt, pepper flakes, and black pepper and whisk to combine. Pour the dressing over the kale and toss very well (the dressing will be thick and need lots of tossing to coat the leaves)
4. Let the salad sit for 5 minutes, then serve topped with the bread crumbs, additional cheese, and a drizzle of oil.
5. Adapted from the Raw Tuscan Kale Salad with Chiles and Pecorino recipe in Melissa Clark's In the Kitchen with A Good Appetite.
6. Prep time: 10 min - Cook time: 5 min