Rapid Media’s Reel Paddling Film Festival (RPFF) highlights some of the best paddling films in the world.
This international competition began in Toronto, Ontario, 4 March 2014 before beginning its tour lasting at least a year.
“The Reel Paddling Film Festival is a film contest awarding winning films in 10 categories. The winners and other shortlisted films are premiered in more than 100 cities around the world, screening for an audience of more than 30,000 outdoor adventure enthusiasts and their friends and families.
“The festival recognizes the best paddling films in a series of categories like, best white water kayaking film, best canoeing film, best fishing film etc. It aims to inspire more people to explore rivers, lakes and oceans, push physical and emotional extremes, embrace the lifestyle and appreciate the heritage of the wild places we paddle.”
The Complete Paddler is Canada's largest Canoe and kayak retail store. “We specialize in kayak and canoe sales, instruction, kayak and canoe rentals and repairs.” In addition, "We are North America's only online store with free shipping for boats and gear!
“Project Canoe uses the outdoors, including wilderness canoeing, to create a transformative environment in which young people develop life skills, social competencies, and resiliency, thereby fostering their own personal success. We partner with our youth, supporting them as they carry these skills and successes forward to manage the complex challenges of their lives.”
1. Creek Boater -WHITEWATER PADDLING Kim Becker day dreams about her favorite thing: kayaking. Director: Kelsey Thompson; Producer: Lee Visual
2. Have Kids, Will Paddle -CANOEING Dan, his wife Alice Young Clark, with their kids Koby, age five, and three-year-old Ava Fei, leave real life behind for a 100-day northern adventure. Director and Producer: Dan Clark
3. Kayak Free Kayaking -SHORT Trip Deacon attempts to kayak down Lombard Street in San Francisco...without a kayak. Director: John Dabrowski | Producer: Mark Odlum and John Dabrowski
4. iAfrica -STANDUP PADDLING An adventure to southern Africa pushes the limits of whitewater SUP. Director and Producer: Corran Addison
5. Stand -ENVIRONMENTAL STAND takes viewers to the core of the Enbridge Northern Gateway pipeline issue while unfurling the soul of B.C.'s west coast, one paddle stroke at a time. Director and Producer: Anthony Bonello and Nicolas Teichrob
6. Paddle to the Ocean -SEA KAYAKING Zac Crouse tours his album by kayak from Ottawa to Halifax while examining the stigma associated with mental illness and benefits of physical activity and music. Director: Kelsey Thompson; Producer: Zac Crouse
7. The Old Man and the Sea: The Expedition -ADVENTURE TRAVEL Inspired by Hemingway's novel, The Old Man and the Sea, Martin Falkind persuades his friends to join him on a marlin kayak fishing trip in the Pacific Ocean. Director: Björn Tjärnberg; Producer: Maria Alander
8. Why We Fish -KAYAK FISHING Renowned big game kayak angler and host of The Kayak Fishing Show, Jim Sammons, explains what drives him to travel the world in search of the next big bite. Director: Kelsey Thompson; Producer: Ken Whiting
9. Everyday Push -DOCUMENTARY Mike Conneen's journey through addiction and life in a wheelchair, as well as his love and passion for kayak fishing. Director: Rob DeVore | Producer: Rob DeVore and Mike Conneen
10. Handling Emergency Situations -INSTRUCTIONAL PADDLING A dramatic series of true-life emergency scenarios led by top sea kayaker Gordon Brown and the rescue professionals of the U.K. coastguard and lifeboat services. Director and Producer: Simon Willis