Pro Stock –
· Erica Enders-Stevens on influences: "Shirley (Muldowney) certainly paved the way for all of the females who have followed in her footsteps. She is certainly a hero of mine, a legend in our sport. She's an idol, she's awesome. I looked up to her and to Angelle (Sampey) and Shelly Anderson Payne. Those were my heroes when I was a little kid going to the racetrack. My dad drove in the sportsman classes. I'd run around and get autographs. Those are my three favorite women and I'm sure I stood at the back of their pits more than they wanted to see me. She's had a huge hand in us being able to accomplish the things we do now."
· Vincent Nobile on running four-wide: “I’ve been there and experienced all this race has to offer so I feel comfortable racing there. It definitely takes a little more concentration, but I tend to just do my own deal anyway. Specifically at this race I may speed up my process a little bit, but as long as you stage and focus on your bulb you should be fine. It’s a good race and whatever the fans like makes me happy. If I happen to come home with a Wally that just sweetens the deal.”
Pro Stock Motorcycle –
· Steve Johnson on running four-wide: “I love it for our sport. It’s so different and gives the fans the drama and the excitement. Fans want to be entertained and this is the epitome of entertaining them. It’s hard to prepare for, but it’s our job to rise above, put on a good show and be good at it. Probably the biggest challenge we have is just being organized to be ready to race. With four lanes, there’s just nothing that you can count on. There’s nothing that can prepare you for it, and that’s what makes it unique.”
Quotes in this piece provided by the NHRA.
Check out Paula’s Examiner columns on motorsports:
Follow Paula on:
· Twitter - @paulat14
· Website – paulathompsonfreelance.com
· Flickr – Paula Thompson Freelance
Contact Paula at firstname.lastname@example.org