Boiling a pot of boxed spaghetti may be easy and economical, but it's hardly an enticing dinner option. To enjoy the money-saving benefits of store-bought Italian staples while elevating the quality of your dinner, consider buying pre-packaged potato gnocchi. Whether frozen or in the pasta aisle, it’ll usually cost you around Gnocchi give you that filling starchy goodness with a more engaging texture and just as many flavor possibilities as spaghetti or rigatoni. For an simple weekday dinner, throw together your store-bought gnocchi in this easy, hearty tomato sauce.
Ingredients for 3-4 servings:
1 can tomato sauce (About $1)
1 package pre-prepared gnocchi ($3-4), depending on sale prices
2 links of sweet Italian sausage, sliced
Olive oil or vegetable oil
Put it together:
1. Heat 1-2 tbsp of oil in a pan on medium-low heat.
2. Add sausage, then onions, and sautée for 4-5 minutes.
3. Add the tomato sauce and spices (to taste).
4. Simmer for 10 minutes.
5. In the meantime, in a separate pot of boiling water, cook the gnocchi for a couple of minutes. They need very little time to cook, so watch them closely and nudge with a fork so you can check that the consistency is fairly soft but not falling apart.
6. Serve the cooked gnocchi with your meat sauce, and enjoy!
If you want to use your own homemade gnocchi with this sauce, more power to you! For those with little time on their hands, however, remember that there’s no shame in letting the grocery store give you a leg-up in your day-to-day cooking efforts.