Company is about to arrive and you realize that you forgot the never to be forgotten bag of chips and bottle of salsa. Click here to get the solution to making your own healthy quick snack: Easy homemade Tortilla Chips.
The game is about to begin and you forgot to buy the salsa?. Never fear, creativity and a pantry with tomato cans will always save you. You can make your own thick and chunky salsa or smooth salsa as long as you have a can or fresh tomatoes and cilantro – in this case, fresh cilantro will fool everyone, every time.
This is also a great tomato salsa to use on top of cooked pasta, between layers of lasagna and whatever recipe that calls for a tomato sauce. Make a batch at one time and freeze or refrigerate the rest for other meals, including Meatballs and Pasta or everyone’s favorite fast food, spaghetti.
Here’s the quick snack salsa recipe:
- 1 - 28 oz cans of whole Plum tomatoes – squish them in your hands for chunky salsa or blend all the ingredients for smooth salsa (you can add fresh diced tomatoes if you like but can Plum tomatoes are great alone for this recipe).
- 1 - 10 oz (RoTel brand or equivalent) can of spicy diced tomatoes & green chilies.
- 1 bunch of fresh cilantro chopped (you can use dry and add per your taste but nothing beats fresh).
- 2 stalks chopped green onions or sweet onions
- 1 clove fresh smashed garlic
Your favorite seasoning to taste or a combination of:
- Kosher Salt
- Mrs. Dash Garlic & Herb or Rosemary Garlic Seasoning
1. Open all the cans of tomatoes and dump into a blender or squish the tomatoes in your hands for chunky salsa. Chop the cilantro, garlic, and green onions (or peel & dice sweet onions) and add to the blender. Blend until smooth.
2. Pour mixture into a bowl/container, add seasoning to taste and enjoy - with Chips, on pizza, pasta, tacos, whatever!!
Serving Size: 1/4 to 1/2 cup per serving.
For more food news, recipes and cooking articles click on: Orlando Cooking Examiner
Like my Facebook page: FoodieForever