When there’s just no time to run to the store here’s a quick way to whip up some munchies before you call a friend to make a last minute stop at the store.
If you happen to have a bag of corn tortillas in the frig, this is a lifesaver. White or yellow – as long as they are corn tortillas, you’ll never be short of chips in the house. If you’re watching your salt and fat intake this is the recipe for you, because you control all the ingredients and it's oven baked, not fried. Here’s all you need:
- 12 or more 6 inch corn tortillas
- Non stick cooking spray
- Kosher salt to taste
- 1 fresh lime (optional)
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Don’t cut the tortillas just yet!
- If you want to add a hint of lime flavor to your chips, cup the lime in have and then again into quarters. Squeeze the lime juice into a small bowl. Use the lime wedge to lightly brush both sides of the tortillas to add that special kick. Tip: Don’t soak the tortillas or it will take too long to bake in the oven to a crisp.
- Stack the tortillas on top of each other and cut them all at one time – making four quarters. This makes a shape of a wedge or a quarter of a circle.
- Lightly spray the baking sheet pans with cooking spray. Place the cut tortilla pieces in on single layer on the pan and spray the top of the tortillas. Season with a little salt.
- Bake until golden brown and crisp, rotating the baking sheets once about 12-15 minutes.
Whip up a super fast batch of salsa to serve with your chips: Quick Snacks: Superbowl Salsa Scoop – chunky or smooth.
For more food news, recipes and cooking articles click on: Orlando Cooking Examiner
Like my Facebook page at: FoodieForever