(Please read all the way to the bottom.)
Total Cost: $10.55 Serves: 4+ Time to make: 15 cook time 5 min / prep time - 10 minutes
$0.05 - 1 TBS olive oil / warm in the bottom of a pan on medium/high
$0.50 - 1 onion chopped - add it ot the pan as you are chopping and give it a good stir
$2.00 - 2 can black bean- drained & rinsed / add to pan
$1.00 - 1 can mild green chiles / add to pan
$3.00 - 1 15oz jar of salsa / put into pan - stir until it is blended & heated all the way through
$3.00 - 1 pack of tortillas
$1.00 - 2 cups cooked rice
Total Meal Cost: $10.55
Optional ideas to serve on the side:
- lime wedges
- chopped fresh tomato
- chopped jalapeno
- fresh chopped tomato
- avocado wedges tossed in lemon juice
- chopped onion
- tortilla chips
- cornbread - this helps stretch this already tasty bargain meal even further
- shredded cheese
- sour cream
Put these side items in little bowls all over your serving area and your family will feel like they are getting a big fancy feast. Only you need to know it took very little time or money to prepare. Boo Yah!
These portion sizes are based on me feeding teenage football players, so this recipe will really serve 4 or more people a full and hearty meal.
HEY! Now that you have a nice full belly check out the good work Carpenters Shelter is doing to make your heart full too!
Carpenters Shelter is the largest homeless shelter in Northern Virginia and serves over 1,000 homeless and formerly homeless children and adults each year.
Here is what is exceptionally cool about Carpenter's Shelter:
- Comprehensive continuing care & services
- Ais chronically homeless & shelter residents through their transition back into independent living
- Empower clients to address the issues that led to their homelessness
- Provide tools necessary to achieve lasting independence
- 90% of those who complete Carpenters Shelter’s program never return to homelessness again.
That is truly impressive and amazing.
Be he a king or a peasant, he is happiest who finds peace at home.
~ Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe