Coleslaw is one of two side dishes found at just about every summer luncheon, BBQ or outdoor party. The crispiness of the cabbage makes this dish filling, satisfying without packing on the calories. Pineapples are a sweet fruit with a wonderful chewy texture that is the perfect accompaniment to the slightly tart taste of shredded cabbage which rounds out the flavor of the coleslaw. With the remaining ingredients this table addition will take on a pina colada taste that will be surprisingly to all who try it.
- ½ a medium sized head of cabbage shredded
- 1/2 teaspoon of coconut extract
- ¼ cup of pineapple chunks
- 3 tablespoons of pineapple juice
- 6 tablespoons of Coleslaw dressing
- Shred the cabbage in a food processor.
- Remove the bowl from the processor and add the pineapple chunks.
- In a small bowl add the Coleslaw dressing, pineapple juice and coconut extract and mix well.
- Pour the dressing over the cabbage and pineapple and mix until covered lightly.
- Transfer mixture to a serving bowl.
- Refrigerate covered bowl for 2-4 hours before serving.
- Add a shredded carrot for additional color, flavor and nutrition.
- Use a half a bag of coleslaw mix when there isn’t time to shred the cabbage.
- Crushed pineapple will also work in this recipe and give each bite a taste of the sweet fruit. Just remember to drain the pineapple well before adding it in.
- Thousand Island dressing is also a great way to flavor this colada coleslaw mix.
- For coconut lovers add 2 tablespoons of flaked coconut into the dressing when mixing it up for that Pina Colada burst you may or may not expect from this party salad.
- Makes an excellent side dish for, or on, BBQ pulled pork sandwiches.
Copyright 2011 Beverly Mucha / All Rights Reserved