It is Independence Day everyone! Independence tarts with great skin….ok it doesn’t but I’m a skin therapist people; so just go along; but my skincare advice is absolutely true and will you healthy inside and out. Charleston is beautiful on this great holiday, but today like many of our summer days are HOT; so here are a few tips on how to keep your skin hydrated and looking great for the holiday and beyond.
Summer can dry your skin out tremendously; when your skin is dehydrated the skin looks grey and helps in the forming of wrinkles and looking older. Dehydration leaves you feeling weak and without energy; with that being said- hydration is wonderful for your inside as well as your outside.
1. Hydrating inside is the first step: drink plenty of water to detoxify and to keep skin fresh and dewy. How much water to drink can be confusing and if you don’t drink enough it can be life- threating so here is a formula you can use: Take your weight and divide that into two and that will equal to the amount of water you should drink. If you weigh 160 lbs. then you should drink 80 ounces of water or 10 glasses of water per day.
2. Hydrating foods- Cucumber, Zucchini, lettuce, and melons are all very hydrating and great eating for the summer and they contain vitamins that the body needs.
3. Cleansing your face- I’m still surprised at how many people I meet who say they clean their face with just water; you just don’t wash your body with just water- at least I really hope you’re not. In the summer use a great hydrating cleanser, I like Dermalogica Special Cleansing Gel, Cerave Hydrating Cleanser, and Face First Pro Hydrating Cleanser they contain ceramides to help repair the skin barrier, hyaluronic acid to help maintain and lock moisture in and emollients to moisturize and soften the skin.
4. Hydrating Masques- Facial Masques are beneficial regardless of your kin type and even if you “perfect” skin, you can benefit from a masque bi-weekly. Dermalogica Skin Hydrating Masque, and Face First Pro Hydra-Boost Moisture masques are my recommendations.
5. Sunscreen, Sunscreen, and Sunscreen- Use often and REAPPLY!!! You don’t want to sunburn ever, but especially on this great holiday- no-one can touch you and it hurts.
That’s it my skintastic followers- Quench your thirst inside and out and have a great and awesome 4th of July!