The holidays OH the HOLIDAYS! I am running around like a crazy woman is how I have been feeling since the holidays went into full affect, I have been moving around a lot being an entrepreneur, leader at work, wife and I can not forget a mommy. .I have been on the move Christmas gifts, making sure that my children have everything they need… the list goes on and on.
Once upon a time I had this amazing thought that once my kids entered Middle School and High School they would require less hands on supervision boy was I wrong. As I reviewed my kids list of demands (and please my husband has his own private list) I started to feel overwhelmed. With all of my family’s never ending high alert demands and other personal attention that must be addressed immediately regardless if I “just walked in the door” or “ if I was really using the bathroom and not hiding from them” I couldn’t help but ask myself WHERE DO I FIT IN? This is a valid question!! I absolutely love my kids but where do I fit into this beautiful wheel of madness? While I was thinking about how I can pencil my life into my family’s world, Beyonce’s song “Put My Love On Top” came on and as I listened to the lyrics, I decided right there at that very moment I was going to put my love on top, the love I have for myself. No more complaining, whining, simply putting my love on top (for me).
BEYONCE KNOWLES – LOVE ON TOP LYRICS
Baby it's you.
You're the one I love
You're the one I need.
You're the only one I see.
Come on baby it's you.
You're the one that gives your all.
You're the one I can always call.
When I need you make everything stop
Finally you put my love on top.
I have decided to put my love on top and give myself some ME TIME. I am asking you to join me and do the same. Here are somethings that we are going to do for the next 5 weeks all the way to 2014.
5 Strategies to Enjoy Your Me Time
Me time is good for the soul. Your best opportunity to re-charge your emotional batteries is to take advantage of those precious non-work hours.
Depending on how you spend it, me time allows you to truly express who you are and who you strive to be. You’ll feel at peace and content with your life when you begin to utilize non-work time doing the activities you love.
1. Ask yourself, “What do I really long to do?” Make a list. Include simple and complex projects and activities you’ve always wanted to do.
• Your list might have items on it like “do yoga 3 times a week, ” “watch those DVDs I bought 6 months ago,” “read at least one novel a month,” or “spend 2 hours making a scrapbook from last year’s vacation photos.” What makes your heart sing?
2. Take a look at your calendar. It’s good to get a visual of how much me time you have in a given week. It can be exhilarating to realize you have 20 hours of me time each week. When does most of your me time occur? In the evenings from 7:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m.? Or only on the weekends? Or both?
• If you use a paper calendar, highlight the time blocks when your free time will happen in the coming week. You’ll feel a little excited and happy when you do this step. It just feels great to know you’ve got some “me time” coming.
3. Plan desired activities by writing them into your schedule. It might be unusual for you to consider using your calendar to “schedule” free time. However, if it’s written in the calendar, you’re more likely to follow through.
• For example, you might reserve 7:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. Tuesday to read a novel. From 8:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. you could schedule “work on vacation scrapbook.” From 9:00 p.m. to 9:30 p.m., maybe it’s “call my sister.”
• It’s not necessary to schedule every unscheduled bit of time you have. However, if it’s written into your schedule, it will be a great reminder for you to begin doing many of the things you long to do. You’ll get focused and feel more fulfilled once you start doing the activities you choose.
4. Gather necessary supplies for favored activities in advance. You’ll be prepared to jump right in if you already have the supplies you need. Use shoe boxes or plastic bins to store supplies so everything will be at the ready when free time rolls around.
5. Regularly update your list of desired activities. This is the wonderful thing about enjoying free time: you have free rein to change your mind and develop new, exciting interests at your whim. Life is incredibly enriching when you realize you can spend spare time taking part in activities you find stimulating, interesting, or just plain fun.
To feel content and develop a real enjoyment of life, use spare moments to your best advantage. Do every single thing you desire. Enrich your life by enjoying your me time!
To your health,
Ange Anglade, MSW, CHHC