People don't usually consider Put-In-Bay a place for family fun. But you would be surprised at the wide range of activities that provide a good time for the entire family. Best of all, the fun starts even before you step foot on the island. Begin your journey aboard the Miller Ferry and enjoy the pleasurable 20 minute scenic ride to Put-In-Bay.
Once you get to Put-In-Bay, grab a golf cart and go. Your first stop should be Perry's Cave Family Fun Center. This place has it all and you can literally spend the entire day here. Some of the must-do activities at Perry's Cave Family Fun Center are:
- Perry's Cave Tour: An Ohio Natural Landmark, this limestone cave is over 200 feet long and lies 52 feet below the island. There are 20 minute guided tours that take place every half hour. Learn all about the cave, how it formed, and it's rich history with the wonderful, and quite funny, tour guides.
- The Butterfly House: This fully enclosed garden is home to 50 different types of butterflies from all over the world. Walk among them and take in their beauty as hundreds fly around you. Don't be surprised if a few even land on you.
- The War of 18 Holes Mini-Golf: This entertaining 18-hole mini golf course is perfect for kids, and adults, of all ages. The course is amid waterfalls, streams, and tons of beautiful plants and flowers. At the start of each hole, you can learn some facts and history about the War of 1812.
- Fort Amaze'N: Complete the maze and win a prize. Finish the course in 5 minutes or less and you win a climb on the rock wall. But don't be fooled, this maze is quite challenging. As you walk through it, there are 4 letters you need to find and punch in on your passport. Once you find all the letters, you need to find your way out.
- Rock Climbing Wall: Test your skills on the 25 foot tall rock wall. There are four sides to the wall, all ranging in difficulty from easy to hard levels.
- Gem Stone Mining: Pan for real gems, minerals and fossils at the mining sluice. A chart is on site so you can identify all the different gems that you discover. The gems that you find are yours to keep.
- Laser Tag: This is the only spot on the island where you can play laser tag. The outdoor course is in a shaded area and comes complete with all the equipment you need to play.
Perry's Cave Family Fun Center is located at 979 Catawba Ave. For more info, visit perryscave.com
If you have time remaining before the ferry back to Catawba, here are some other family-friendly spots on the island.
Perry's Victory and International Peace Memorial: This 352 foot memorial is the third tallest monument in the United States. It was built to honor the peace between Great Britain, Canada, and the U.S. since the war of 1812. You can take the elevator up 317 feet to the observation deck and take in the breathtaking views.
Kimberly's Carousel: Take a ride on this beautifully restored Alan Herschel carousel, created in 1917. Located on Delaware Avenue in downtown, Kimberly's Carousel is one of the last merry-go-rounds in operation in the country.
The Chocolate Museum: Learn all about the history of chocolate and how chocolate is made at this unique museum, located at 820 Catawba Street. You can watch a film, check out the exhibits, and enjoy their collection of antique chocolate collectibles.
Find out more about Put-In-Bay at visitputinbay.com
See the Miller Ferry schedule and rates at miller ferry.com