Many people in Portland are always looking for that special dessert that includes all their favorite fall flavors; pumpkin, ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg. Well this delightful little cupcake includes all those and more. Many Portlanders can't wait to bake these sweet treats once the fall comes around.
4 cups cake flour (not self-rising), sifted
1 tsp baking soda
1 Tbs + 1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
¼ tsp ground cloves
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
2½ cups packed light-brown sugar
4 large eggs
1 cup buttermilk
1½ cups canned pumpkin-- not pumpkin pie filling
For the Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 12 oz cream cheese, room temperature
- 4 cups podered sugar, sifted
- ¾ tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbs ginger
This recipe makes 32 cupcakes. Preheat oven to 350F. Fill the cupcake cavities with baking papers and set aside the tray.
- Sift together flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and spices.
- With a hand held mixer on medium-high speed, cream butter and brown sugar until fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating until each is incorporated, scraping down sides of bowl as needed. Reduce speed to low. Add flour mixture in three batches, alternating with two additions of buttermilk, and beating until just combined. Add pumpkin; beat until just combined.
- Using a 1/4 cup scoop, fill each cupcake liner with batter. Bake, rotating tins halfway through, until golden brown, 15 to 18 minutes. Transfer tins to wire racks to cool for 10 minutes; turn out cupcakes onto racks and let cool completely.
To Make the Frosting:
- With a hand held mixer on medium-high speed, beat butter and cream cheese until fluffy, approximately 2 to 3 minutes. Reduce speed to low. Add sugar and ginger, ½ cup at a time, and then vanilla, and mix until smooth and combined, scraping down sides of bowl as needed.
- To decorate, apply a generous layer of frosting to each cupcake and sprinkle with some brown sugar or drizzle some caramel over the top for a super special look.