Fall has officially arrived. Pumpkins are abundant. Comfort food is what everyone craves on these cool fall evenings or for delectable football fare. So whether tail-gating or snuggling up in front of the TV to watch your favorite team, this is the perfect fall recipe. The pumpkin chicken combination makes a rich and hearty chili. Cornbread, on the side, rounds out this meal.
Pumpkin Chicken Chili
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, grated
- 1 1/2 pounds ground chicken (ground turkey can be substituted)
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (15 ounces) pure pumpkin
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 can (15 ounces) red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (15 ounces) white kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- Heat olive oil in a stockpot over medium heat.
- Add onion, bell pepper, jalapeño and garlic. Sauté until tender, about 12 minutes. Remove from pot and set aside.
- Add ground chicken to stockpot. Cook, stirring, until no pink remains, about 8 minutes.
- Return vegetables to pot.
- Add tomatoes, pumpkin, chicken broth, chili powder, cumin and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and gently stir in red and white kidney beans.
- Cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, until chili thickens slightly, about 30 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve in a shallow bowl. Top with shredded cheddar cheese, a dollop of light sour cream and or sprinkled with chopped fresh chives, as desired.