Skip to main content
Report this ad

See also:

Pumas drop victory in compensation time

Puebla fought and secured a draw at the Olimpico Universitario.
Puebla fought and secured a draw at the Olimpico Universitario.

For 90 minutes the Pumas UNAM faithful cheered their team on as they looked to open the season at home with a victory for the first time in four seasons. A loss of concentration in the second half gave Puebla FC the confidence they needed to take home the point. Pumas drew 2-2 with Puebla on the grounds of the Olimpico Universitario Stadium in Mexico City to spoil their home opener in the Clausura 2014 of La Liga MX.

Pumas began the game with an aggressive style going after Puebla from the beginning. Martin Bravo was very active fighting for possession of the ball as the Universitarios hit the pitch looking to start the season off with a victory. The game was one-sided in the first 45 minutes as the Mexico City squad controlled all aspects of the game.

It took 19 minutes for the goal to hit the nets at the Olimpico Universitario. Bravo, a virtual tank on the pitch, took the ball into the camoteros’ area. He could not be stopped so the defender took him down inside the box. The referee awarded a penalty kick. Bravo took the shot from the spot beating goalkeeper Jorge Villalpando for the 1-0.

Pumas continued to apply pressure on the visitors during the half. Jose Luis Trejo’s team pushed forward with Bravo leading the attack. In the 39th minute the Argentine began a play just outside the half-moon. The ball rebounded off three Pumas players before landing back in front of Bravo. Bravo hit the ball into the net for the 2-0.

The home-side kept majority control of the ball for the remainder of the half. The second half was a completely different game for Pumas. The team gave up control of the ball allowing Puebla to reach goalkeeper Alejandro Palacios’ net with ease. U.S. international DaMarcus Beasley was a constant threat on the Pumas defense.

The game fell apart for Pumas in the final three minutes when Matias Alustiza quickly recovered a bad pass from the Pumas defense. He chipped the ball over Palacios who was off his line. The ball ended in the net for the 2-1 in the 90th minute with three minutes of compensation to play.

Pumas was on the verge of winning their first season opener since the Apertura 2011, all they had to do was guard the ball in compensation time. But Puebla was inspired after the goal. They had been in control of the game for the last 45 minutes and wanted to make their effort worth it.

Alustiza received a pass in the area and was challenged by Palacios. But the keeper took the Argentine down inches into the penalty area. The referee awarded the kick once more. Uruguayan Carlos Sanchez took the shot beating Palacios for the final 2-2.

Pumas will travel to La Corregidora stadium to face Queretaro FC in week 2. Puebla will host CF Monterrey.

Report this ad