When it is hot outside the last thing you want to do is turn on the oven. These Pulled Pork Sliders with Spicy Peach Bourbon BBQ Sauce are a delicious way to enjoy BBQ without heating up your kitchen or working up a sweat over the grill.
This recipe comes from the kitchens of Zulka Pure Cane Sugar, a non GMO, minimally processed sugar.
Zulka Morena sugar is minimally processed and comes straight from freshly-harvested sugar cane. Zulka sugar is never refined, which helps preserve the fresh, real flavor and natural properties of the sugar cane plant, resulting in a better tasting and less processed sugar.
Pulled Pork Sliders with Spicy Peach Bourbon BBQ Sauce
- Slider buns
- Shredded green cabbage
- 4 pounds pork shoulder
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
For the BBQ Sauce:
- 5 roma tomatoes
- 5 peaches
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 small sweet onion, diced (About 1 cup)
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 tablespoon chipotle chile in adobo (About half a chile and some adobo sauce)
- 1/4 cup Zulka Brown Sugar
- 1/4 cup Zulka Morena Sugar
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup bourbon
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- Sea Salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Place the pork shoulder in a slow cooker. Pierce several times with a fork and then evenly distribute the spices over the top.
- Set on low for 8 hours.
- Check the pork at 6 hours and if it is starting to fall apart, drain off some of the liquid, add in one cup of the BBQ sauce, shred and leave on low for one more hour.
- Add more sauce if desired once the meat is done.
Make the sauce while the pork is cooking in the slow cooker:
- Bring water in a large stock pot to a boil and blanch the tomatoes and peaches until the skin is soft and starting to peel. Let cool. Peel, roughly chop and remove pits and seeds.
- In a medium sauce pan, heat the coconut oil and add the onion and sauté until soft, about 8 minutes.
- Add the garlic and sauté until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add the peaches, tomatoes, chipotle chile in adobe, sugars, vinegar and bourbon. Bring to a boil, then lower the heat and let simmer about 25 minutes until slightly reduced.
- Transfer the mixture to a blender and puree until smooth.
- Transfer back to the sauce pan and add the tomato paste. Season will salt and pepper. Simmer on low for another 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
- If spicier sauce is desired, add more adobo sauce 1/2 teaspoon at a time until optimal spiciness is reached.
To assemble the sliders:
- Lightly toast the slider buns. Spread a little of the BBQ sauce on the toasted sides of the buns. Top the bottom with about 1/3 cup of the pork, then some of the shredded cabbage. Top with other half of bun and enjoy!