Sony Computer Entertainment announced on Dec. 4 that a new PS3 system update is available for download. PS3 firmware 4.53 is an optional firmware update that improves several of the PlayStation 3’s key functions.
Among the new features brought on by firmware 4.53 are the ability remove games from your Trophy list and to allow the PS3 to download firmware updates automatically.
In addition to the option of hiding games from your Trophy list, you can also setup a group of players who can view all your trophies – perfect way to hide that Hannah Montana Platinum Trophy.
Those without a PS+ subscription can now take advantage of the Automatic Update feature. This allows you to set the PS3 to turn on at a designated time to update the system’s firmware and to download other content.
Find the full list of PS3 firmware 4.53 updates below:
- You can now set the group of players who can see your trophies. You can also specify for each game whether to show trophies.
- The PS3 system can now perform the following operations when you set [Settings] >[System Settings] > [Automatic Update] to [On], even if you do not subscribe to PlayStation Plus.
- When this setting is [On], the PS3 system will automatically start each day at the specified time, perform these operations, and then turn off.
- Download content items purchased with other devices
- Download the latest system software
- Support of Closed Captions function on playing Blu-ray Disc videos and DVDs (SCEA UC model only). “Blu-ray Disc” and "Blu-ray" are trademarks of the Blu-ray Disc Association.
- "PlayStation Network" has been renamed "PSN".
- System stability during use of PlayStation 3 format software and network services has been improved.