Lifetime likes Rob Lowe, and judging by total viewers for films such as “Drew Peterson Untouchable” and “Prosecuting Casey Anthony,” the public agrees. The Jan. 19, 2013, premiere of the film “Prosecuting Casey Anthony” took the top spot in overall viewership for the night and garnered 3.3 million viewers. While the numbers are large, it should be noted that some people refused to watch the film for fear that it would bring more media attention to Casey Anthony. Others argued that Casey Anthony might somehow monetarily benefit from the film. A suggestion prosecutor Jeff Ashton denied. “Prosecuting Casey Anthony” was the first depiction of the true-crime drama focusing on the trial of Florida mother accused of murdering her two-year-old daughter by suffocating her with chloroform and duct tape on June 16, 2008.
Not only did the movie carry top ratings, but also Rob Lowe provided live tweeting throughout the premiere. The topic “Prosecuting Casey Anthony” began trending on Twitter and when the show replayed, it became a popular trend on Now.MSN.Com. The growing trend numbers combined with total ratings show that interest in the Casey Anthony case has not ceased, though Casey Anthony may never be retried for Caylee Anthony’s death.
While some hoped “Prosecuting Casey Anthony” would introduce new case information that wasn’t the film’s intent. Based upon the book “Imperfect Justice: Prosecuting Casey Anthony” by prosecutor Jeff Ashton, the film told the events as they unfolded from the prosecution’s point of view.
Early reports indicated Casey Anthony was worried the movie’s premiere would incite additional threats of violence and vitriol against her. While no threats have been reported, it does appear that the film prompted numerous people to voice their outrage against Anthony and demand justice to be served. Comments such as “I already watched the trial, I’m not going to watch the movie,” were heard nationwide.
Casey Anthony was acquitted on July 5, 2011, on charges of first-degree murder, aggravated manslaughter and aggravated child abuse. Though acquitted, many worldwide continue to believe that Casey Anthony was the sole perpetrator in the death of her daughter.
Did you see the movie? Please share your opinions below.
For more Casey Anthony news, check out the recent articles below. Click subscribe to receive notice in your email when a new article has been published.
· Is Casey Anthony the Lizzie Borden of the twenty-first century? (Video)
· Casey Anthony Lifetime movie gets premiere date (Video)
· Casey Anthony latest news: Judgment day, wacky lawsuit dismissed, illuminati (Video)
· Casey Anthony latest news: Celebrity boxing, left Florida, civil trial updates
· Casey Anthony verdict outrage continues on social media networks one year later
· Casey Anthony may testify in Zenaida Gonzalez civil trial
· Report: Attorneys for Casey Anthony want murder trial excluded from civil case
· Casey Anthony must reveal financial information in Zenaida Gonzalez case
· Woman suing Casey Anthony for defamation, Zenaida Gonzalez, arrested in Florida
· Casey Anthony off probation, but legal woes far from over