A recent Web MD survey found that more than 63% of Americans are overweight. Furthermore, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, being overweight increases the chances of developing:
- Coronary heart disease.
- Type 2 diabetes.
- Hypertension (high blood pressure).
- Dyslipidemia (for example, high total cholesterol or high levels of triglycerides).
- Liver and Gallbladder disease.
- Sleep apnea and breathing problems.
- Osteoarthritis (a breakdown of cartilage and bone within a joint).
These conditions are bad enough in good times. During and after disasters, however, these conditions are even more deadly because the medications for these diseases might not be immediately available.
Most overweight preppers know that it is dangerous to be overweight, and they want to lose weight. The reasons why they might fail to do so can include their:
- Preference for the taste of excessive amounts of fat, sugar, and salt.
- Habit of eating junk food from sources such as vending machines.
- Dependence on crash diets instead of on healthy, lifelong eating habits.
- Belief that they can make exceptions to healthy eating habits during the many holidays, birthdays, and other celebrations and social events throughout the year.
- Belief that exercise can make up for a bad diet.
- Habit of eating to relieve anxiety instead of using more healthy stress management techniques
- Belief that women can never again weigh what they weighed before they became pregnant.
- Belief that they can find neither the time or motivation to stick to a consistent exercise program.
Although it is true that some people have a harder time losing weight than other people, a person’s body type should not be the reason for giving up and refusing to exercise and eat sensibly. No body type is well served by a sedentary lifestyle and poor eating habits brought on at least partially by an excessive exposure to food porn.
One main reason for the epidemic of overweight Americans, especially children, is the advertising efforts of the food industry. Eating habits established in youth can last a lifetime.
Preppers who decide to lose weight should monitor their weight loss progress by daily use of methods such as:
- Weight scales.
- Tape measures.
- Clothing fit.
- Mirror inspection of their bodies.
- The way they feel.
- Comments of others about their appearance.
How do you feel about proper weight maintenance? What do you think about special diets? Please comment below.