Unseasonably cool weather has forced a change in times for the fourth annual PRO Winter Warm-up, on track Friday and Saturday, January 17th and 18th. Hosted by Palm Beach International Raceway in Florida and the Professional Racers Owners Organization, Inc. (PRO), the event features some of the top names and teams in the NHRA Mello Yello Drag Racing Series’ two nitro series – Top Fuel and Funny Car – as a prelude to the 2014 season, which kicks off Thursday through Sunday, February 6th through 9th with the NHRA Winternationals at Auto Club Raceway in Pomona, California.
“This was a tough decision but it was one we felt we needed to make to insure we have the safest possible conditions for our drivers, crews and fans,” said Bob Tasca III, a member of the PRO Board. “As the sun goes down the temperatures drop rapidly and it makes it extremely hard for these 10,000 horsepower Top Fuel Dragsters and Funny Cars when it comes to traction and acceleration.”
Gates will now open each day at 1 p.m. ET, with racing at 3 and 5 p.m. ET.
In addition to Tasca III, drivers expected at the PRO Winter Warm-up include:
· 2013 Funny Car champ John Force and the rest of John Force Racing, daughters Courtney and Brittany Force, and Robert Hight
· Al-Anabi Racing drivers Shawn Langdon (2013 Top Fuel champ) and Khalid alBalooshi
· Torrence Racing’s Steve and Billy Torrence
· Don Schumacher Racing drivers Tommy Johnson Jr., Tony Schumacher, Antron Brown, Jack Beckman, Matt Hagan, Ron Capps and Spencer Massey
· Kalitta Motorsports drivers Doug Kalitta, David Grubnic, Del Worsham and Alexis DeJoria
· Chad Head
· Sidnei Frigo
· Leah Pritchett
· Cruz Pedregon
· Bob Vandergriff Jr.
Two-day spectator passes for the event are $50 for adults, $25 for children ages 6 to 12 and free for children 5 and under; daily tickets are also available, and parking is free. Get more information on the PRO Winter Warm-up at racepbir.com.
Check out Paula’s Examiner columns on motorsports:
Follow Paula on:
· Twitter - @paulat14
· Website – paulathompsonfreelance.com
· Flickr – Paula Thompson Freelance
Contact Paula at email@example.com