‘Prisoners’ easily captured the top spot at the domestic weekend box office, according to industry figures released Monday.
The R-rated kidnapping thriller starring Hugh Jackman and Jake Gyllenhaal debuted with $20.8 million in ticket sales over the weekend.
Last week’s No. 1 movie, horror sequel ‘Insidious: Chapter 2,’ slipped to second, earning $13.8 million for a total of $60.1 million since opening Sept. 13.
Mafia crime comedy ‘The Family’ starring Robert De Niro, Michelle Pfeiffer and Tommy Lee Jones fell one spot to No. 3 in its second weekend, earning $7 million for a total of $25.6 million since opening Sept. 13.
Spanish-language dramedy ‘Instructions Not Included’ continued its strong run in American theaters by climbing two spots to No. 4 in its fourth weekend, earning $5.3 million for a total of $33.9 million since opening Aug. 30.
Break-dancing drama ‘Battle of the Year’ rounded out the top five, opening with $4.6 million.
FRIDAY’S NATIONWIDE MOVIE RELEASES
- A woman (Paula Patton) embarks on an expedition to find her fiancé in romantic comedy ‘Baggage Claim’ (rated PG-13). See the official trailer here.
- More menacing food-animal hybrids are created in animated family comedy ‘Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2’ (rated PG). See the official trailer here.
- A New Jersey bachelor who likes watching porn tries to find happiness with a potential love interest in R-rated dramedy ‘Don Jon’ starring Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Scarlett Johansson and Julianne Moore. See the official trailer here.
- Rivals compete in 1970s Formula One racing drama 'Rush' (rated R) directed by Ron Howard. See the official trailer here.
TUESDAY’S DVD/BLU-RAY RELEASE
- Robert Downey Jr. returns as Tony Stark in superhero sequel ‘Iron Man 3.’