Prince Andrew was stopped and asked for identification by Buckingham Palace guards as he strolled the grounds Wednesday, just two days after two men were arrested for a break-in at the royal residence. Prince Andrew issued a statement Sunday saying he was grateful for the apology by the police guards, and that he understands they have a difficult job to do, and sometimes they get it wrong, according to BBC News on Sept. 8.
Scotland Yard first issued a statement today, clearing up earlier reports that guns had been drawn on Prince Andrew, The Duke of York, when they stopped him in the Buckingham Palace gardens on Wednesday.
They confirmed, with permission from the HRH, that no weapons were drawn. Prince Andrew, second son of Queen Elizabeth II, was satisfactorily identified and went on his way.
Prince Andrew said in his statement that he understands the police have a difficult job in balancing security of the royal family and deterring intruders.
Surely he probably recognizes they may have had a hair trigger in light of Monday's palace break-in. High turnover for security staff for the palace is also being blamed for the mix-up, according to the Daily News.
But, "It’s fair to say that to describe the duke as unhappy and the two officers as highly embarrassed is the biggest understatement of the century", a palace insider said.
On Monday, a suspected burglar was arrested after he allegedly scaled a 12-foot fence at Buckingham Palace and landed in an area open to the public.
The 37-year-old East London man was also charged with trespass and criminal damage. He's currently undergoing a mental health evaluation.
A second man, believed to be his accomplice, was also arrested outside the gates on suspicion of conspiracy to commit burglary.
Earlier reports claim Wednesday's mishap included police drawing their weapons, and ordering the 53-year-old Duke of York to drop to the ground.
The prince maintains an apartment and an office at Buckingham Palace, which is one of Queen Elizabeth's three official royal residences.
Prince Andrew now sits fifth in line to the throne, having just been bumped by the birth of the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge’s first child, Prince George.
The prince will likely be sure he carries his wallet from now on, even when he steps out on his own grounds to go for a stroll.