Meet Grok, the creation who has become the poster personality for Paleo guru Mark Sisson's Primal Blueprint, detailed in his ground-breaking book "The Primal Blueprint: Reprogram your genes for effortless weight loss, vibrant health, and boundless energy" (click for details). Designed as the model for what Mark calls "evolutionarily tried and true lifestyle behaviors" such as the Paleo diet, Grok is designed to reflect the prototype of a hunter-gatherer born before the agricultural age. By following in his footsteps, you can enhance your health, whittle your waistline, reduce stress and live longer, says Mark. And one of the key messages: Fats, not carbohydrates, are the best fuel.
"Fat and protein were the dominant macronutrients (when food was even available) over the majority of our two-and-a-half million years as evolving humans," explains Mark. "It was predominantly fats, ketones and the minimal infusion of glucose via gluconeogenesis that got us here. Dietary carbs were insignificant." Worth noting: The latest studies indicate that the Standard American Diet (SAD) actually damages the brain, rewiring our body's natural ability to know when we've had enough food: Click here for more information on that research.
Here's what you should know about Grok, including tips for benefiting from this archetype:
- Grok is enviably healthy, "lean, ripped, agile, even big-brained," says Mark. He has ideal blood test readings, perfect cholesterol and triglyceride levels and no need to worry about most modern diseases. You can get cooking with meals that emulate Grok's food plan with "Primal Blueprint Quick and Easy Meals: Delicious, Primal-approved meals you can make in under 30 minutes" (click for details).
- Grok's diet consists of nuts, seeds, seasonal veggies and fruits, meat and fish.
- Grok works for what he eats, from foraging to hunting.
- He encounters minimal stress (we're assuming Mrs. Grok pulls her own weight when it comes to the workload), sleeps well and has a healthy schedule. Tip: Get Mark's action plan to make it work for you in "The Primal Blueprint 21-Day Total Body Transformation: A step-by-step, gene reprogramming action plan" (click for details).
- Grains and sugar? Grok never heard of them.
- Water? Bring it on - and as for diet soda, well, that beverage would only occur in Grok's life if he had a nightmare.
- Grok loves good fats: Nuts, avocados, coconut, eggs, butter, olive oil, fish, chicken, lamb and beef keep him healthy and satisfied. Learn more about how to live the Paleo life in "The Primal Connection: Follow Your Genetic Blueprint to Health and Happiness" (click for details).