- The president put all the prestige of his office on the line for federal gun control and lost by a wide margin in Congress.
- While climate control was a big part of his inaugural address, nothing happened, period.
- Obama made the mistake of taking on the Republicans face-to-face on sequestration and compromised his ‘principles’ into something totally different.
- The president was forced to delay implementation of the employer mandate which was a key feature of the Affordable Care Act. Obamacare is now more unpopular than ever. As retiring Senator Max Backus, one of its authors was quoted saying, “It’s turning out to be a train wreck in practice.”
- The most recent jobs report was the worst in a year, with the Obama recovery already qualifying as a historically weak one. Too many years have passed to blame this all on former President George W. Bush.
- Immigration reform has gone absolutely nowhere.
- Syria has turned into an embarrassing political and diplomatic mess - an epic disaster. Actually the president’s Middle East failures go well beyond Syria, but Syria is the most conspicuous failure presently.
The Obama presidency is dissolving before the American people’s eyes. It is one thing for any president to fall short of the expectations he has set for his administration, but no man has ever promised more and delivered less than the current occupant of the Oval Office.
“Hope and Change,” “Yes We Can” and “We’re the ones we’ve been waiting for” has fallen on deaf ears.
Slowing the rise of the oceans (remember the fiasco in Denmark?), the claim his candidacy would “ring out across this land as a hymn that will heal this nation, repair this world, make this time different than all the rest” lies in ashes.
In the Book of Proverbs, there is this warning, “Pride goes before destruction, a haughty spirit before a fall.”
The president has demonstrated time and time again that he is out of his depth as a leader. His policies have inflicted the greatest of harm to the country and will take decades to repair.
This may be worth remembering as you close the curtain at your voting location come the midterm elections in November, 2014.
* If you have enjoyed this column, may I suggest you scroll down this page and press the SUBSCRIBE box? It's FREE. Thank you for your patronage.
** Send your comments to: firstname.lastname@example.org