Historically the third game of the preseason is the final dress rehearsal for teams as they get ready for week one of the regular season. For the New York Jets Saturday night's game against the Giants at MetLife Stadium (7 pm EST) has a lot more meaning as the team has several rosters spots/starting positions up for grabs. Here are some of the positions to keep an eye on for Gang Green.
1) Geno Smith starting at quarterback- After an excellent week of practice Rex Ryan announced that rookie Geno Smith will be starting at quarterback. Ryan did not go into the amount of reps that Smith will receive, but it is believed that he will play at least the first half. It will be interesting to see Geno's level of comfort with the offense and if he will be able to efficiently move the unit without making any costly mistakes.
2) Wide receivers on the bubble- The Jets will have several wide receivers fighting for a roster spot including Braylon Edwards, Ryan Spadola, Ben Obomanu, and Mohamed Massaquoi. With Edwards nursing an injury all of the aforementioned receivers will have a chance to solidify their spot on the team.
3) Starting safety- The battle to play opposite Dawan Landry rages on as Antonio Allen and Jaiquawn Jarrett continue to fight for playing time. Allen will start on Saturday night and will look to make some impact plays to claim his spot in the starting lineup.
4) Running back by committee- Bilal Powell has been the star of training camp as Chris Ivory has been limited due to injuries. The competition behind these two backs includes Joe McKnight, Chad Spann, Kahlil Bell, and Mossi Madu (Mike Goodson is an unknown at this point). Will Joe McKnight bounce back from an injury plagued preseason?
5) Offensive line depth- The New York Jets finally have some depth at the offensive line position, now it is a matter of determining who makes the final roster. Rookie Brian Winters appears to be a lock to make the team with Vlad Ducasse, Will Campbell, Caleb Schlauderaff, Oday Aboushi, Jason Smith, and J.B. Shugarts looking to earn reps.
6) Defensive line- The Jets defensive line has a chance to be a strength of the team which means it will be very difficult to earn a roster spot. Starter Kenrick Ellis has been struggling with an injury which will give several players like Leger Douzable, Damon Harrison, Antonio Garay, and Tevita Finau a chance to show what they can bring to the team.