On Tuesday, February 19, 2013, at 8:30 p.m. ET, public relations students, professionals and educators will join Susan Young, author of “The Badass Book on Social Media and Business Communications,” for a discussion on how social media is best used in professional communications. The session will be held on Twitter, using the hashtag #PRStudChat and all who are interested in the field of PR are welcome to join in. Questions to be discussed include:
· What 3 things should students be doing right now to prepare for graduation/entering the workforce?
· What are the benefits of blogging, whether you’re a student, educator or business professional?
· How important is it for people to market themselves like brands do?
· How do you develop a personal brand for professional social networking?
· What traits and skills are employers in the communications field looking for when hiring?
· What are a few dos and don’ts when crafting pitches and press releases?
· When it comes to pitches, what are 2 or 3 pet peeves of reporters/bloggers?
· What can people do to always have a full pipeline of content and ideas?
· What are the key steps to promote and publicize individuals and business?
· What is the real secret to success in PR and all business?
More About Susan Young
Susan is CEO of Get in Front Communications, a 13-year-old communications consulting and training company. She began her career as a news director, reporter, and on-air anchor in the New Jersey /New York media market. She has also served as Deputy Director of New Jersey Governor Christie Whitman’s Office of Radio and TV, and was public relations director for a statewide non-profit. Her work has been recognized by the Associated Press and the New Jersey Broadcaster’s Association. In addition, Susan has been honored as “Entrepreneur of the Year” by the Edison, NJ Chamber of Commerce.
More recently, Susan has been a regular Contributor to Ragan’s PR Daily, and served as Managing Editor of Ragan’s HR Communication. These days she is a content curator for several professional associations and businesses and the author of a new Amazon Kindle book, The Badass Book of Social Media and Business Communication. You can follow Susan on Twitter @sueyoungmedia
More About PRStudChat:
It began with a simple question asked by Angela Hernandez, then President of PRSSA at Central Michigan University (CMU). “Is PR Right for me?” A follow up blog post by PR 2.0 expert Deirdre Breakenridge inspired a series of direct messages on Twitter between Breakenridge and fellow PR industry pro, Valerie Simon. This was an important question and one that should be explored beyond one student or one blog post. Why not build a community to help students across the country, and even the globe, learn from the experience and perspective of industry professionals… A community where everyone can learn and grow together. Read more