Potato salad is that perfect summer food, and everyone has their own way of making it. This delicious and creamy potato salad recipe will surprise you and is well worth trying! The dressing for this salad is wonderful! It’s one most people have never seen, and it is simple and easy to make. The creaminess and taste make this clearly one of the best potato salad recipes ever. You may never make it another way again!
A couple tips for making the best potato salad:
- Use potatoes with a high moisture content. The potatoes you use will have a direct effect on the texture of the potato salad, so use those with a high moisture content – Yukon Gold (one of the best potatoes for any use), red skinned potatoes or new potatoes. These potatoes hold their shape and their creamy texture will blend wonderfully with the dressing.
- Mix the dressing into the potato salad when the potatoes and eggs are still a bit warm. The potatoes will absorb some of the dressing and makes for an extraordinary salad.
- Don’t refrigerate the potato salad for too long prior to serving it. Make it, put it in the refrigerator for an hour at the most – then serve it. The flavor of the salad is the best when it is newly made and chilled through just barely.
Potato Salad Recipe
Ingredients for Potato Salad:
- 6 medium-sized potatoes
- 6 hard-boiled eggs, chopped
- 1 cup celery, diced
- ½ cup onion, diced (optional)
Ingredients for Potato Salad Dressing:
- 2 eggs, beaten
- ½ cup white sugar
- 1 tsp. cornstarch
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ cup vinegar
- 2/3 cup evaporated milk
- 1 tsp. prepared yellow mustard
- ¼ cup butter
- 1 cup mayonnaise
Directions for making Potato Salad:
Peel and dice the potatoes. Put them in a pot, sprinkle them with salt and cover them with water. Boil for 15 – 20 minutes or until they are tender. Drain them well and allow them to cool just a little – do not refrigerate them and don’t allow them to cool to room temperature.
Making the dressing: While the potatoes are cooking, whisk together the 2 eggs, sugar, cornstarch and salt in a saucepan until the cornstarch has fully dissolved. Whisk in the vinegar, milk and mustard. Cook over medium heat, whisking constantly, until the mixture has thickened – about 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the butter until it melts. Refrigerate the mixture until it cools, then add the mayonnaise – mix well.
Transfer the cooled (and well-drained) potatoes to a large bowl. Add the chopped eggs, celery and the onions (if using). Gently stir the dressing into the potatoes and other ingredients until everything is well-coated. Taste, add a little salt or pepper if desired. Chill for no more than 1 hour prior to serving.