It is easy to think negative. Fitness, as with any goal you have, ultimately comes down to positive thinking. Here are some examples of negative thinking and how to overcome it by replacing it with positive thoughts.
1. "I CAN'T DO IT". This is a favorite. What good comes out of thinking you can't do it? Usually, nothing. Whatever goal you have, if nothing more, thinking and believing you can do it can only help your cause. If nothing more, you will work harder, try more, keep at it, and stick with it. This can only produce positive results. Even if the results at first are not dramatic, thinking you can do it will eventually help you to progress and get farther than you would have if you did not think you can do it.
2. "IT'S NOT WORTH IT." This is a great mistake many people make. Results you get don't always need to be measured as "ends". Often times, the ends you gain are not always measurable, but they are effective and they serve other benefits. With fitness, it is worth it. Sure, you might not gain a perfect physique tomorrow, but the health benefits you are getting by knowing that exercise and diet are worth it are enough to make it worth it. You create good habits, and these good habits create a positive return on your investment no matter what: improved overall health, decreased body fat, increased strength, and really less decreases in overall health, that would just lead you to have to make up more when you finally got serious about it.
3. "I'LL NEVER SUCCEED." You would be surprised by how many people succeeded in life eventually just because they believed that eventually they would, that eventually their hard work would pay off. This kept them going and working hard, even though there was no guarantee that they would succeed. This forms good habits, and eventually good habits and staying true to your original goals will pay off.
4. "NOBODY BELIEVES IN ME." This is just not true. There are a thousand professional fitness people in the world who have taken people who have started from scratch and helped them succeed by believing they can do it. They do not look at where you are starting from because they have seen people achieve astronomical feats throughout their career. They have seen people lose fifty pounds in two months, seen sedentary people overweight with no muscle on their body transform, and seen people achieve amazing results, even if they were starting from scratch. The right people will believe in you.
5. "I GIVE UP. NOTHING IS HAPPENING RIGHT NOW." Remember that successful change usually takes time. Don't expect anything to happen overnight, but don't be discouraged by any lack of results you might be experiencing. If you stay consistent and you keep at it and keep working hard towards your goals, eventually you will find and learn new and better ways to reach them. You have to understand that success is cumulative and usually takes time. No matter what barriers or obstacles you are encountering now, eventually with a good attitude, and a positive outlook, success will come.
The one thing that is sure about negative thinking is that it cannot work and produce results. Only a positive mindset can actually move you forward to the goals you want to experience. If you can stay positive, then eventually you will arrive at progress and at your goals.