It's hard to believe it's that time of year again. It is time to say goodbye to the old and hello to the new - a brand new year is almost here! Whether you plan to ring in the New Year with a great big bash or small, intimate get-together with a few of your favorite friends, it's time to reflect and remember the year's past and look forward to new possibilities. Many people will kick off the New Year with a new resolution, according to a Dec. 28 article by Care2.
New Year's Resolutions
Besides ringing in the New Year with a glass or two of champagne and kissing that special person at the stroke of midnight, it is estimated that 45 percent of Americans make New Year's resolutions (and 38 percent never do.) And interestingly, 39 percent of people in their 20s achieve their resolution goals while only 14 percent of folks over 50 achieve theirs.
Popular New Year's Resolutions
- Lose Weight
- Quit Smoking
- Fall in Love
- Get Fit and Healthy
- Fall in Love
- Find a New/Better Job
- Get a Better Education
- Manage Stress
- Manage Debt
- Save Money
- Drink Less Alcohol
- Volunteer / Help Others
- Get Organized
- Take a Trip
Top Tips to Keep Your New Year's Resolutions
Whether you plan to finally kick the habit, embrace a healthier lifestyle or pay down that debt, New Year's resolutions are simple to make but often difficult to keep. While many have the best of intentions, it's time to plan your winning strategy now.
- In order to keep those resolutions, make them attainable and specific. Many are too general. How many pounds do you want to lose? One or 50?
- Give yourself a specific time-frame. How many pounds do you want to lose in a week or a month?
- Be flexible.
- Keep a record of your journey.
- If someone you know has the same goal, why not tackle it together? The buddy system helps keep you motivated.
- Reward yourself from time-to-time. You deserve it!
10 Best Apps to Keep Resolutions
Just in case you need a little help, take a peek at a few handy-dandy apps to keep you on track.
- Fooducate - If you want to eat healthier, this free app for iOS and Adroids is a must-have! Simply scan the barcode on your grocery products and find out what nutritional grade the product receives.
- Lose It! - If you want to get in shape this year, Lose It! is a must-have! This free app is for Android and iOS.
- Nutrino - This free app will build a personalized menu for you tailored specifically for your needs.
- Human - This free app for iOS helps keep you moving and uses location tracking to measure your activity.
- Buy Me a Pie - Never forget anything at the grocery store again with this handy app. Save time and money by managing and synchronizing that grocery list with other family members. Available for iPad, iPhone, Android devices, this app is not free- it's $2.99.
- Cessation Nation - If kicking the habit is your goal for the New Year, Cessation Nation is the app for you!
- Quit Now! - This free tool will keep track of how much money you've saved, how long it's been since your last cigarette and help you cope with anxiety.
- Mint Personal Finance - This free app, for Androids, iOS and Windows Phone, helps keep track of your budget and saving goals.
- BillGuard - This free app includes colorful graphs and charts to help you lower your monthly expenses.
- Take a Break - Need to unwind a little? Check out this free app for iOS and Androids and relax with 7 or 13-minute meditation sessions.
Happy New Year!
- Top 20 New Year's Eve Movies
- New Year’s Eve toasts, quotes and sayings to ring in the New Year
- 20 New Year’s Eve Cocktails: Ring in the New Year with refreshing holiday cheer
- 30 New Year’s Eve Appetizer Recipes Perfect for Parties
- 30 Best Viral Videos of 2013: Unforgettable videos that made us laugh & cry