Looking for the perfect holiday cake? You will find it at The New York Palace patisserie, Pomme Palais where Master Pastry Chef Michel Richard has created a stunning collection of specialty cakes for the holidays that truly exemplify the art of cuisine. Recently, I had the delicious experience of sampling Chef Michel's festive collection which includes some decadent choices for chocolate lovers as well as other tempting sweets.
Let's take a look at the chocolate, shall we?
- Michel's Snowman: This adorable little guy is made of white meringue and wrapped up with a sugar scarf and marzipan-chocolate hat. He carries a rosemary stalk "tree" and includes raspberry sauce. This is no ordinary snowman - he is actually hollow inside and waiting to be filled with ice cream! The snowman comes in a see-thru container. A colorful gift tag has playful instructions drawn by Michel illustrating how to rim your plate with whipped cream, fill the snowman and serve. This makes a perfect hostess gift or a fun DIY activity for kids.
- Lemon Eggceptional Cake: Michel combines sponge cake, lemon curd and French meringue in this eggceptional creation topped with white chocolate "cups" molded in an egg shape complete with lemon yellow "yolks" inside described as white chocolate lemon eggceptionals - truly exceptional eggs!
- Opera Cake: This layered cake of coffee, chocolate and almond flavors performs perfectly.
- Macaron Cake: An almond vanilla sponge cake layered with chocolate mousse, coated with dark chocolate and decorated with macarons for playful color and texture that will make your eyes and your sweet tooth happy.
- Chocolate Fleur d'Automme: Michel elevates the traditional chocolate cake with the addition of almond meringue and chocolate mousse. The topping is an elegant flower made from - you guessed it - chocolate! For chocolate lovers this cake is heaven in your mouth!
Michel Richard opened Pomme Palais in September 18, 2013. The patisserie serves breakfast, lunch and light entrees for quick take away options as well as house-made sweets, chocolates and savory dishes. Check out the chocolate covered grapes - unbelievable!
Everything about Pomme Palais is a delight. Elegantly designed by Jeffery Beers, the shop's bold color palette translates to the pastry bags and boxes, lunches and cakes.
Born in Brittany and raised in the French tradition of culinary apprenticeships, Michel originally came to American with his mentor Gaston Lenotre to open a pastry shop in 1974. A past winner of the James Beard Foundation Award for Outstanding Chef of the Year, Michel's creativity can be seen in the most prestigious culinary publications. He has also published three books, regularly appears at charitable events and food and wine festivals across the country, designs menus for the National Gallery of Art and features dishes onboard Amtrak's Acela First Class service.
Michel will also be opening Villard Michel Richard, the premiere restaurant at the New York Palace Hotel in the coming months. www.pommepalais.com