There's often a great misconception revolving around healthy food: it's boring, it's bland, it's flavorless, but that doesn't have to be the case. There are many ways to enjoy vegetables, protein and fruits in recipes that are nutrient and vitamin rich, but that are still big on flavor like this antioxidant loaded Pomegranate and Avocado Salad topped with delicious grilled chicken with a zesty lime flavor. Remember to use organic, non-GMO, antibiotic-free ingredients whenever possible to ensure you're getting the best nutrition.
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh thyme
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh oregano
- 2 limes, juiced
- A large mixing bowl
- 4 organic chicken breasts
- Plastic wrap
1. Add the olive oil, garlic, rosemary, thyme, oregano and lime to your mixing bowl. Use a fork to beat the ingredients together; mix until combined.
2. Add the chicken to the the lime marinade. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 8 hours. (I recommend leaving it in the marinade overnight).
3. Grill the chicken for added barbecue flavor or saute in a pan; use about a tbsp of the marinade to coat the pan. Cook on medium heat until the chicken's juices run clear. Cut down the middle of the cutlet to make sure it's not pink. Once cooled; cut into strips; set aside.
Pomegranate Avocado Salad
- 10 oz. organic baby spinach leaves or mixed greens
- 2 avocados, peeled, pitted, and cut into slices
- 1 pomegranate (all of the seeds or "arils")
- Optional: 1/2 cup crumbled feta
- 4 tbsp Balsamic vinegar
- 4 tbsp light honey (or agave nectar)
- 2 tbsp fresh lime juice
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- A large salad bowl
- A medium mixing bowl
1. Start with the dressing; add the Balsamic vinegar, honey, lime juice, salt, pepper and olive juice to your medium bowl; mix until combined. Refrigerate the dressing for 1-2 hours to allow the flavors to completely develop.
2. Add the baby spinach, pomegranate arils, avocado slices and crumbled feta to your large salad bowl.
3. Add as much of the Balsamic Lime Vinaigrette as you like. Give it a good toss. Top with the chicken strips you made in the first part of the recipe. Drizzle lightly with the Balsamic lime vinaigrette and enjoy!