Ever consider making a New Years resolution? How about one that will make a difference in the political arena? If you think you can’t make a difference, try some of the tips below.
- If you have limited resources to support candidates, pick one and throw your weight in that direction. Instead of donating $5 to five candidates, try $25 to one.
- Write a letter a month to your local paper. Keep the issues local, and be on point. Choose a topic and offer ideas and solutions.
- If you don’t agree with the direction the Republican (or Democrat) National party is going, tell them why, and then, don’t donate. Let them know the changes you think should happen.
- Donate locally. It’s easier to make a difference locally than it is to make a dent on a major race.
- Contact your congressman! Know who represents you and keep in touch. Know what they are voting on and let them know whether they are representing you (or not). Colorado State Legislature.
- Run for office. Are you retired, or have extra time on your hands? Start at the local level, with the school board, town council, or a local organization that you support.
- Start a group of like minded individuals – a coffee group, wine night, etc.
- Invite un-like minded individuals to a political group you are a member of.
- Campaign for a candidate of your choice. Boots on the ground are just as important as financial contributions!
- Give a ride to the polls to others who can’t drive themselves.
- Volunteer to deliver fliers or make phone calls for your local political group or candidate.
- Attend a local meeting for a political group you don’t agree with. Keep an open mind, and remember your own values. When there, ask questions. Politely, of course. But be prepared to defend your viewpoint. Try the Tea Party in Estes Park for a fun gathering.
- Caucus! This is the best way to make a difference locally.
These are just a few ideas – use your imagination and make a difference.
If you like this article, please click “subscribe” at the top of the page. You’ll be the first to know when more “like minded” articles are published to the Fort Collins Republican Examiner page, by Michelle.