NumbersUSA, a non-partisan organization working to lower immigration levels in the United States, gave Representative Jared Polis and Senator Michael Bennet the lowest rankings in the Colorado delegation in its recently released report cards. The two each received a grade of F- on the actions they have taken since entering Congress which affect the level of illegal immigration into the United States. These actions include floor votes as well as committee votes, co-sponsorships and other leadership actions. Began in 1989, the group scores Members of Congress’ records on reducing chain migration, illegal jobs and amnesty enticements, as well as other factors encouraging illegal immigration.
Polis, in particular, received his grade based on his co-sponsorships and voting record on several bills which the organization views reward those who enter the United States illegally. These include:
• co-sponsoring HR1751, which would grant amnesty to illegal aliens under the age of 35 who came to the United States illegally before the age of 16, as well as allow illegal aliens to pay in-state tuition at America's public colleges and universities,
• co-sponsoring HR 2414, which would protect illegal aliens granted temporary resident status from prosecution for Social Security fraud,
• voting in favor of the rule to HR 3962, which denied Members of Congress from voting on any amendments that would close loopholes in the health care act that allow for illegal aliens to participate in many areas of the new federal health care plan,
• opposing the King amendment (250) to HR 2892, which required Immigration and Customs Enforcement to remove the lookout posts constructed by drug smugglers, and
• opposing the King amendment (253) to H.R. 2892, which required all DHS contractors and subcontractors to use the E-Verify system to verify the employment eligibility of their employees.
However, Polis and Bennet were not alone in the Colorado delegation with their low marks. Representative Diana DeGette also received an F-. The scores for the remaining Colorado delegation are A+ for Mike Coffman, A- for Doug Lamborn, C- for Ed Perlmutter and Betsy Markey, D for Mark Udall, and F for John Salazar.