A video posted Sunday at The Blaze shows that for a time, police armed with batons faced off against "Million Vet March" protesters at the White House. Thousands showed up in Washington, D.C. Sunday to protest the closure of memorials in the city.
The standoff lasted only a few minutes as officers eventually backed away, but several officers were seen preparing to use their batons against peaceful protesters.
"Thank God we have baton wielding riot police to protect us from 85 yr old vets in wheelchairs. Thanks, Mr. Obama," tweeted actor James Woods.
"US Park Police have arrived in front of WH. Some in riot gear! Tea party/veteran protesters start booing," CNN's Jim Acosta tweeted.
Another photo posted to Twitter showed an armored LRAD vehicle being deployed by local authorities.
"Obama’s America," tweeted "Rick Wilson."
More than one person compared the picture to something that could have been seen in Nazi Germany.
Police on horseback were also brought in for crowd control, and several pictures showed police with plastic handcuffs.
Protesters tore down barricades -- nicknamed "barrycades" after Barack Obama -- that were erected around memorials in the city and carried them to the White House, where they were unceremoniously dumped.
Earlier in the day, rumors began spreading on social media sites that police had engaged the protesters with tear gas, but a post at 21st Century Wire said those reports were false.
Some, in fact, posted pictures of police actually helping protesters move the barricades.
Twitchy said one sign attached to a barricade "put the icing" on what the site called "the awesome civil disobedience cake."
"Return to sender," the sign read.
- Million Vets March tear down barricades, storm memorials in D.C.
- Obama admits hurting Americans to score political points against GOP
- Liberals on Twitter call for death of actor James Woods, Tea Party
- Obama signs bill restoring death gratuities Jay Carney called unnecessary
- Video: Allen West calls Obama a ‘pathological liar’, ‘spoiled brat child’
- Mark Levin warns: Obama preparing country for coup against Constitution
- Rumor claims Obama DOT, National Guard to shut down freeway to stop truckers
- Park Ranger admits being told to make life as difficult for people as possible
- Liberals to Obama: Let Americans feel more pain over budget crisis
- Sign on Ga. military chapel: 'Shutdown: No Catholic service till further notice'
- Democrat votes to arrest military chaplains who minister to troops during shutdown
- House to Chuck Hagel: Don't arrest military chaplains during shutdown
- Obama's armed Park Service uses 'Gestapo' tactics against seniors at Yellowstone
- Park Service: No to vets, yes to immigration rally on 'closed' National Mall
- Amber Alert website down due to shutdown, Michelle Obama's 'Let's Move' site up
- Obama's Park Service kicks owners out of private Lake Mead homes over shutdown
For hard-hitting conservative commentary, please visit Joe's blog, the Conservative Firing Line. You can also find Joe's articles at Right News Now, Tea Party Tribune, Newsbusters, Liberty Unyielding and PolitiCollision.
Be sure to listen to "Grit and Grace" every Thursday from 6-8 p.m. Pacific Time on Blog Talk Radio, where you can hear Joe discuss current events.