A search continues Tuesday morning for a teenage boy who went missing from a Syosset group home after police said they have located two other young teens he went missing with, according to a Jan. 28 news release.
Police said the three teenage boys – 16-year-old Gabriel Hernandez; 15-year-old Jonathan Acevedo; and 14-year-old Shakeem Smith – walked out of the Mercy First Group Home on Convent Road in Sysosset around 8 p.m. on Sunday.
Missing Person Squad detectives had been combing neighboring communities and released photos and descriptions of the teens to the public Monday night, as their search and investigation continued.
In an update Tuesday morning, Nassau County police said officers located Smith and Hernandez, but Acevedo is still presumed missing.
Syosset-based Mercy First is a nonprofit group affiliated with the Sisters of Mercy, a nationwide Catholic ministries organization, which operates the group home.
A man answering the phone at Tuesday morning at the Syosset facility said he could not immediately comment and phone calls to the New York administrative offices of the Sisters of Mercy organization went unanswered.
Detectives are still seeking the public’s assistance in locating Acevedo. Anyone with information on his whereabouts is urged to call Nassau County Missing Person Squad officers at 516-573-7347.