The Associated Press reported early on the morning of Saturday, Feb. 23, 2013, that the Massachusetts Institute of Technology in Boston is on lockdown. Reports are out saying that a man carrying a long rifle and wearing body armor had been spotted on the Boston campus, but police are now saying those reports are unfounded.
The MIT campus had gone on lockdown early on Saturday due to these reports of a gunman being somewhere around the school. Not even thirty minutes later though, it was reported that police had done a search and said the reports of the gunman were unfounded.
A statement was sent out by MIT on Saturday that several law enforcement agencies had responded to the scene.
MIT also says that a photo appeared to have been tweeted out from near campus showing a road blocked to traffic. Law enforcement agencies spent no time in making sure safety was a priority. The school had also advised both students and workers to stay indoors until it was all clear, and report any suspicious activity on campus.
Police have revealed no further details at this time as to why a possibly false report was released.